Welcome to this week’s edition of Mitch’s Monday Happy Hour! Here’s what I’d have to share if we were meeting for Happy Hour this week . . . . .
- First of all, I apologize for skipping last week’s Happy Hour! In fact, this week’s edition almost didn’t happen either . . . . It’s currently 10:30pm and I’m laying on the couch exhausted, but I thought I would throw something together quick for you.
We Have a Roller
- It was a big week for Hayden, he rolled over for the first time from his back to his stomach! Of course we didn’t get the first roll on video, and in fact, we still haven’t got one of them recorded! In a world where it seems like people are constantly glued to their phones/cameras, every time he rolls we shout, “where’s my phone, where’s my phone?!?!?!?!” We never find it in time!
We found Hayden’s Kryptonite
- Hayden received his 4 month vaccinations this week. Here in Kuwait, the government requires children to get certain vaccinations. Since they are required, you have to go to one of the Government Clinics, which is unlike any hospital/clinic I’ve ever been too. It’s crowded, the waits are long, nothing seems organized, and they are only open certain hours each day. It sure makes us feel grateful that we have health insurance so that we can attend the private clinics/hospitals for medical care. The nurses we had were fantastic and Hayden was a totally stud! Once the needle poked him in the leg, he gave us a weird look and just crinkled his eyebrow. He let out one small wimper, which I translated to, “ouch!” No tears, no crying, just a total tough guy! However later in the night we noticed a booger in his nose, so we grabbed his lil’ boogy sucker thingy (I think this is the official name). As soon as he saw that thing near his nose, he let out a bloodcurdling screammmmm! He’s our little macho man, but he hates this thing, so apparently the boogy sucker thingy is his kryptonite.
We Love Vacations
- On Wednesday of this week, we are heading to Oman for a 4-day weekend to visit our friend Mike and his family. Mike was the person who encouraged us to consider a life overseas, and specifically in the Middle East. Since he moved to Oman over 5 years ago, we kept telling him that we were going to come visit, and the time has finally come. We’re excited to explore Oman, check out some of their amazing beaches, and just enjoy a cold beer with a great friend.
- This weekend, Kuwait is celebrating it’s two largest holidays of the year, and they are on back-to-back days! On February 25th Kuwait is celebrating National Day, which marks the creation of Kuwait as a country in 1961. On the next day, February 26th, Kuwait celebrates Liberation Day, which marks the end of the Gulf War in 1991 when Kuwait liberated from the Iraqi invasion. As a result of the holiday weekend, we only have a 4-day week this week! Get this though . . . when our week was half over here in Kuwait (2pm on Monday) the work week in Minnesota hadn’t even started yet! (it was 5am on Monday) Woohoo, only 2 more days until vacation!
See you next week ya’all!
We did it….we went to Thailand with a two month old and lived to tell the tale!
Before I jump into the details of our trip to Thailand over Christmas/New Years, I need to focus on something that scared my new Mommy heart way more than being in a foreign country with a two month old…flying on a plane for 6 hours with a two month old!
I was completely convinced that Hayden would spend all six flights (yes we planned our first vacation with our newborn to have six flights, rookie mistake!) screaming and keeping the entire plane awake the entire time. We came prepared with 80 pairs of ear plugs to pass out to the poor souls who would be stuck on a plane with us. We said many, many prayers to the airplane gods. We packed every rattle and toy Hayden has ever shown any interest in. Mitch and I gave each other pep talks that “we can do this, even if it means standing in the bathroom for 6 hours.” Then we boarded the plane and our newborn did the one thing we were unprepared for: he peacefully slept the entire time. During all six flights, he slept the entire time!
I love this little boy, even if I never, ever know what to expect out of him!
After a brief break from our weekly Happy Hour posts, I am back! It was tough to come up with a list of topics for this week, because basically all we have done is cuddled our new son Hayden. Today he is officially two weeks old, and still perfect (in our eyes)!
Hayden is 2 Weeks Old Today!
Some of my favorite pictures of Hayden thus far.
- We’ve been adjusting to life as parents, and couldn’t possibly love it more! We feel so blessed to have such a happy & healthy little boy, who brings so much joy to our lives. Sure, sometimes changing poopy diapers at 3am isn’t much fun, but when he snuggles in and falls asleep in your arms, it makes it all worth it! He eats, he sleeps, and he poops, so he is a perfect newborn baby!
Our New Sleep Schedule
All snuggled in!
- As all new parents know, living with a newborn baby leads to many sleepless nights. The first couple of nights we would just stare at him while he slept, periodically checking his pulse to make sure he was still alive. The night before my birthday he gave me the best present ever, he slept for 7 hours straight! We didn’t sleep for 7 hours straight that night though, we were still up every half an hour checking his pulse. Since then he’s been a little rock star when it comes to sleeping! He loves his crib and must have inherited his love for sleep from his mother.
Maternity & Paternity Leave
- We are pretty fortunate that our lives in Kuwait provide us with time off to spend at home with Hayden. By Kuwaiti law, Rachel is able to take 70 days off of work, with full pay! Her maternity leave will run until December, when we get another 3 weeks off of work, so technically she is off until after our holiday break in January! Kuwait doesn’t have a law granting fathers any paternity time, however my position is very flexible and my employer has been supportive of my desire to stay home and help care for Rachel and Hayden.
Now That We Have A Baby, Is It Time For A Minivan?
Durango looking all tough with the jack on the back . . . .
- When guys find out their wives are pregnant, one of the first things that goes through their mind is, “oh crap, we better not be buying a minivan, because I refuse to drive one!” Well, we aren’t buying a minivan (yet) but our Durango did lose a bit of its masculinity today and is one step closer to looking like a minivan. Today I decided to take the big ass jack off the back! The jack is so heavy on the backdoor, that someone has to hold it open to load the stroller in. When you are trying to load a baby, bags, a stroller, a wife, and everything else, there was just too much going on to have two adults load a stroller. So, I swallowed my man pride and took it off.
No more jack . . . .
- Last Monday was Thanksgiving in Canada. We have a lot of awesome friends here from Canada, so we were invited to celebrate with them at a potluck dinner! There was about 30 people there, and it was so nice getting everyone together and giving thanks for such great friends. On Thursday, November 26th, we’ll celebrate the “real” thanksgiving with our American friends! 🙂
Hilton Resort Walking Paths
2 weeks old, and has already been to the ocean multiple times.
- One of the reasons we got a membership at the Hilton Resort this year, was because of their awesome paved walking paths throughout the property. We were excited that we could spend all winter outside going for family walks and getting Hayden outdoors. We’ve been a couple of times already since he’s been born, and we just love it! One loop is about 3-4 kilometers, so its the perfect distance for a short walk, or you can do the loop multiple times for a decent one.
On October 5, 2015, Rachel and I welcomed our new son, Hayden William to the world! We couldn’t be more excited and in love with the little guy!
Our first family photo!
Like all parents, we think our baby is absolutely perfect! We’ve been showering him with love, and giving him as many snuggles and kisses as possible. Here are a few pictures from the last couple of days:
Isn’t he perfect!
He loves snuggling with his mom.
And watching football with his dad!
Everyone loves picture of babies yawning!
Obviously we are going to continue blogging, but we might not be able to post as often as we used to.