Last June when we finished the school year, we started the long trek from Kuwait back to Minnesota. The school books our flights to and from Kuwait each year, and they usually book all of our flights using Lufthansa Air. Lufthansa has a sweet policy on layovers. Here’s how it works: when you book a flight with Lufthansa you can extend your layovers for FREE. Meaning that our flight path took us from Kuwait to Frankfurt before it took us back to the U.S. Using Lufthansa’s layover policy we were able to extend our stay in Europe for 6 days to soak up some time on the beaches of Portugal, before we headed home for our whirl wind of a summer. We convinced six of our friends to join us on the Southern Coast of Portugal, in an area known as Algarve. We rented a beach house with amazing views for dirt cheap. Our vacation began once we landed in Lisbon, where we grabbed two rental cars and drove a few hours from the capital, down to the beach.
We very purposefully planned nothing to do on this vacation! We just enjoyed the stunning views over the ocean, played cards, bar-b-qued, and stayed up late listening to music and laughing with friends.
My words aren’t really going to be able to describe how beautiful this area was, so I’ll just let the pictures do the talking.
Friends + Sunshine + Exploring a New Country = a Fantastic Vacation Thanks for the great time crew, I would travel with any of you, anywhere, anytime.
After a brief break from our weekly Happy Hour posts, I am back! It was tough to come up with a list of topics for this week, because basically all we have done is cuddled our new son Hayden. Today he is officially two weeks old, and still perfect (in our eyes)!
Hayden is 2 Weeks Old Today!
Some of my favorite pictures of Hayden thus far.
- We’ve been adjusting to life as parents, and couldn’t possibly love it more! We feel so blessed to have such a happy & healthy little boy, who brings so much joy to our lives. Sure, sometimes changing poopy diapers at 3am isn’t much fun, but when he snuggles in and falls asleep in your arms, it makes it all worth it! He eats, he sleeps, and he poops, so he is a perfect newborn baby!
Our New Sleep Schedule
All snuggled in!
- As all new parents know, living with a newborn baby leads to many sleepless nights. The first couple of nights we would just stare at him while he slept, periodically checking his pulse to make sure he was still alive. The night before my birthday he gave me the best present ever, he slept for 7 hours straight! We didn’t sleep for 7 hours straight that night though, we were still up every half an hour checking his pulse. Since then he’s been a little rock star when it comes to sleeping! He loves his crib and must have inherited his love for sleep from his mother.
Maternity & Paternity Leave
- We are pretty fortunate that our lives in Kuwait provide us with time off to spend at home with Hayden. By Kuwaiti law, Rachel is able to take 70 days off of work, with full pay! Her maternity leave will run until December, when we get another 3 weeks off of work, so technically she is off until after our holiday break in January! Kuwait doesn’t have a law granting fathers any paternity time, however my position is very flexible and my employer has been supportive of my desire to stay home and help care for Rachel and Hayden.
Now That We Have A Baby, Is It Time For A Minivan?
Durango looking all tough with the jack on the back . . . .
- When guys find out their wives are pregnant, one of the first things that goes through their mind is, “oh crap, we better not be buying a minivan, because I refuse to drive one!” Well, we aren’t buying a minivan (yet) but our Durango did lose a bit of its masculinity today and is one step closer to looking like a minivan. Today I decided to take the big ass jack off the back! The jack is so heavy on the backdoor, that someone has to hold it open to load the stroller in. When you are trying to load a baby, bags, a stroller, a wife, and everything else, there was just too much going on to have two adults load a stroller. So, I swallowed my man pride and took it off.
No more jack . . . .
- Last Monday was Thanksgiving in Canada. We have a lot of awesome friends here from Canada, so we were invited to celebrate with them at a potluck dinner! There was about 30 people there, and it was so nice getting everyone together and giving thanks for such great friends. On Thursday, November 26th, we’ll celebrate the “real” thanksgiving with our American friends! 🙂
Hilton Resort Walking Paths
2 weeks old, and has already been to the ocean multiple times.
- One of the reasons we got a membership at the Hilton Resort this year, was because of their awesome paved walking paths throughout the property. We were excited that we could spend all winter outside going for family walks and getting Hayden outdoors. We’ve been a couple of times already since he’s been born, and we just love it! One loop is about 3-4 kilometers, so its the perfect distance for a short walk, or you can do the loop multiple times for a decent one.
On October 5, 2015, Rachel and I welcomed our new son, Hayden William to the world! We couldn’t be more excited and in love with the little guy!
Our first family photo!
Like all parents, we think our baby is absolutely perfect! We’ve been showering him with love, and giving him as many snuggles and kisses as possible. Here are a few pictures from the last couple of days:
Isn’t he perfect!
He loves snuggling with his mom.
And watching football with his dad!
Everyone loves picture of babies yawning!
Obviously we are going to continue blogging, but we might not be able to post as often as we used to.