What’s up everyone! Welcome back to our (*hopefully) weekly Mitch’s Monday Happy Hour post where we can catch up on what’s going on in our lives, and any unique things I encounter in Kuwait that I think you might find interesting. So here goes, February 1st . . . . .
My Sister is Coming to Kuwait!
- We are so excited to welcome my sister to Kuwait next month! She’s coming for 10 days and we can’t wait to show her around and give her some insight to our lives from the last 2 years! We plan on hitting up some of the places that we’ve talked about here on the blog, and also hopefully taking a quick trip to Dubai. She’s never been to the Middle East before, so we are looking forward to showing her all the cool things that it offers, and how safe it is!!! We still have openings here at Hotel de Johnson if anyone is interested in a vacation to Kuwait this year!
My First Kuwaiti Beer
- I bought my first Kuwaiti beer the other day! No, it’s not what you think . . . . . . they did not legalize alcohol here, it’s a non-alcoholic one! Rachel was preparing dinner the other day in the crockpot and realized the recipe called for a beer. So I ran to the little bakala (corner grocery store) to grab one. I took a small taste and it wasn’t good! I guess I’ll be waiting until our next vacation out of Kuwait for my next beer.
I Nailed Dinner Last Weekend
- I’ll admit it, I do not do a lot of the cooking around here! Partly because I’m terrible at it and it stresses me out, but also because Rachel is awesome at it! She researches new recipes, does the meal planning, grocery shopping and viola, a delicious meal is on the table! However, I took over dinner the other night, and totally nailed it! I saw one of those dumb 30 second movie clips on Facebook where they magically whip together a meal, and decided to give one a try. I made salmon, asparagus, and potatoes and it was fantastic! *When I told Rachel I was going to put this on the Happy Hour post, her reply, “what, you make dinner one time and you’re going to talk about it on the blog!?!? YES, I am.
Brrrrrrrrrr, It’s Freezing Here!
- Most of you probably saw my post about the Snow in Kuwait from last week, but all winter has been super chilly compared to last year. This weekend at around 4am, the temperatures officially got down to the freezing point (32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius)! They even cancelled baseball games over the weekend due to the “extreme cold weather” (windchill of 32 degrees Fahrenheit)
Funny Photo of the Week
- I pulled up to a red light the other day, and noticed the guy in front of me hand wrote the brand “Daihatsu” on his tailgate. I’m not sure if the truck was actually a Daihatsu or if he just wished it was, but regardless . . . . . he found a black marker somewhere and tried his best to make it look legit. Kudos to you my friend for the valiant effort!
That’s all for this week folks, I look forward to seeing you again next Monday!
I literally cannot wait to meet Hayden and see you both! I’m also looking forward to seeing all the sights and the new experiences! 🙂
Whoohooo, we’re so excited. Maybe you could be a “guest blogger” while you’re here too 😉